gnustep-base library versioning

From: Larry Campbell
Subject: gnustep-base library versioning
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:25:16 -0500

gnustep-base specifies an INTERFACE_VERSION that includes its minor version number. This means that I have to relink everything whenever I deploy a new version of gnustep-base. This is really rather impractical, and I wonder whether we couldn't change INSTALL_VERSION to include only the major version number (and, of course, make no backwards-incompatible changes during minor version upgrades).

The current behavior, where every program needs to be relinked and redeployed whenever gnustep-base is updated, is a significant inhibitor to the adoption of gnustep where I work.

- lc