Re: In talks w/ RedHat/Fedora for inclusion of GNUstep in their

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: In talks w/ RedHat/Fedora for inclusion of GNUstep in their
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:20:50 +0000

Hi Greg,

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 05:04:45PM +0000, discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org wrote:

> I've been talking to some people at RedHat/Fedora about getting GNUstep
> included in their distro.   What follows is an email from the community
> development manager for the fedora project.
>
> His profile is here on their wiki:
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GregDeKoenigsberg).
>
> I would very much like to get packages built for Fedora so that they can be
> included in the Extras packages.   This move will help increase GNUstep's
> visibility in the community and will help is get more developers and users.
>
> If there are any volunteers who would like to step up and help make this
> happen, please let me know.
>

> Thanks, GJC
> --
> Gregory Casamento

I'd be very interested in getting involved in this.

As you may know, I've been building binary RPMs of GNUstep for some
time - first on Red Hat 8.0 and (since a change of distro) for SuSE
9.1 and then SuSE 9.3. These are available at:
    <URL:http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/extras/gnustep-1.13/SuSE_9.3/>

like to build GNUstep RPMs for Centos 4.x on a x86_64 host, I've
agreed to provide the spec files etc - these are at:
<URL:http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/extras/gnustep-1.13/SuSE_9.3-build/>

I haven't yet read the articles referred to in your mail (will do so
when I go online to send this), but would be delighted either to
participate or to make available the materials I already have.

I feel that one of the main obstacles to the adoption of GNUstep
software by users (as distinct from developers) is its lack of
availability, other than by the build-from-source route, and would be
keen to help counter this.

--
    Richard Stonehouse