Re: Library, Bundle or ...

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Library, Bundle or ...
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:10:41 +0100

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 06:43:19AM +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> If your widgets have no resources (eg image files), you can first
> build a library, but if they use resource files you should probably
> start by building a bundle.  In fact it's probably good to build a
> bundle even if there are no resource files used ... as a bundle does
> not have to be linked into applications at compile time in order to
> be usable.

After working on it a bit, I still don't get it. If I build my widgets
in a library, I just have to add

Agenda_LIBRARIES_DEPEND_UPON += -lAgendaWidgets

to my application GNUMakefile to use the widget, using a Gorm model or
not. But if I put my widgets in a bundle, I have to load the bundle
manually with code like this (I think)

NSBundle *bundle;
Class MonthView;

bundle = [NSBundle

bundleWithPath:@"/opt/gnustep/Local/Library/Bundles/AgendaWidget.bundle"];
MonthView = [bundle principalClass];

How am I (or another developer reusing the widget) supposed to know
where is the bundle ? Same question goes for a Gorm palette. In short,
I don't see the advantages of a bundle in this case. May I'm confused...

Philippe
--
If nested functions are answer, you've got the wrong question. Al Viro