Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for s

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Embedded GNUstep - new rumours about embedded MacOS X and call for support
Date: 10 Jan 2007 00:52:22 -0800

hns@computer.org schrieb:

> Hi all GNUsteppers,
> there is new rumour about an embedded MacOS X (aka OSXlite, OSXmobile
> etc.):
>
> http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/12/20061219140034.shtml
> http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2313
> http://www.looprumors.com/LoopBlackPopup.php?mac-mobile,4046720790
>
> All this shows where the industry is heading to: enhanced full
> operating systems that run on (open) Smartphones and Settop boxes. And
> it shows what the future needs: something besides Symbian, Qt and
> Windows Mobile.

Looks like I was right - but Apple was faster and has stronger
marketing muscles.

On the other hand, there is not yet a clear confirmation that the
iPhone really runs MacOS X (i.e. a Darwin kernel, IOKit drivers, Cocoa
and other frameworks, Unix daemons, WindowServer etc.). It *might* just
be a GUI toolkit (includin g Core Animation) whose icons and handles
share the same bitmaps and color definitions and interface rules.

And, there is no confirmation at all that the iPhone will be Open and
there will be a SDK. And that you can use Xcode and IB to write
cross-platform applications...

That all is/will be available in mySTEP if we enforce this work (sort
of "Open-i-phone") ...

-- hns