SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: address@hidden
Subject: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: 6 Mar 2007 05:40:15 -0800

Although threre has been a lot of scepticism if the approach of
reimplementing the WebKit API in pure Objective-C is reasonable and a
lot of discussion where to start at all, I have rendered the first
pages as you can see here:

http://www.quantum-step.com/images/web.png

On the left side is the NSLog() of the DOM tree when I link against
Apple Foundation and AppKit (which makes the development cycle very
fast).

I will try to track the current status here:
http://www.quantum-step.com/wiki.php?page=SimpleWebKit

Currently implemented is:
WebDataSource
* HTML parsing (by using an extended NSXMLParser from Foundation)
* HTML to DOM tree translation
* DOM tree to NSAttributedString translation
* display in an NSTextView
* WebFrame, WebFrameView
* WebView

Missing is
* CSS
* Embedding and displaying images, forms etc. in an attributed string
* formatting of tables
* several formatting rules are missing
* JavaScript
* Plugins
* Anchors
* Frames
* Cookies

Fortunately, Riccardo Mottola will help to make it compile and run
with GNUstep base and gui (which shouldn't be too diffcult).

Nikolaus Schaller