Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:47:27 +0100 (CET)

> There is also the issues of bundles linking against different versions
> of gnustep-base/gnustep-gui as compared to the application they are
> running in...

Very good point ... I hadn't thought of that. :-(

On other platforms this is not so much of an issue just because bundles
don't need to be explicitly linked to all libraries ... but on Windows they do
:-/

Is there a way to avoid linking bundles to all libraries on Windows ?

Else, there is some more thinking to do here to make for a smoother user
experience. :-/

Thanks

> Which leads me to my other idea...COM registers every class/interface in
> the registry with a pointer to the location of the DLL. If we were to
> modify the runtime, would it be possible for it to locate classes at
> runtime by looking them up in the registry, instead of explicitly
> linking against its DLL? Or is this just fanciful thinking?

It's an interesting idea ;-)

I'm not sure it would really work because most libraries/bundles/etc contain
a lot of C code as well as ObjC classes.  So even if we managed to hack the
runtime to look up classes in the registry, C stuff would still need to be
loaded via DLLs, and versioning problems wouldn't go away :-(