Re: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Missing interface that connects NSCoder to NSStream ?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:55:15 +0100

On Mar 13, 2007, at 20:32, Vaisburd, Haim wrote:
I'm going to establish connection between a gnustep and non-gnustep
application for data exchange. No relation to www whatsoever.
JSON-RPC looked an ideal tool for that.

Unless huge data or massive IO is involved XML-RPC sounds perfect for this, implementations are already available and solid.

Its a bit chatty, but if you have speed/bloat concerns you wouldn't select JSON either.

I have no idea why JSON-RPC encourages the use of a plain socket.
This is starting to be off-topic, but why not?

Because HTTP is full featured, invented for the given task and has plenty of ultra solid implementations. The question is why you would want to forge an own protocol instead of using a standard one. Simplicity can't be the reason in this case. Even the smallest embedded devices have an HTTP stack nowadays.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess