Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:39:25 +0200

On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:59, Fred Kiefer wrote:
On the FOSDEM we agreed that it would be great to un-fork mySTEP.

Unless you are talking about a different discussion I think we actually agreed that its unlikely that this will be possible! :-) [well, 'unfork' in the political sense, yes, unfork in terms of code merge, no]

The basic idea was to support forking, in the form of branches in the GNUstep Subversion repository. The goal was to easen sharing of *new* code in either of the branches. Eg if GNUstep adds NSAnimator, mySTEP can do a 'svn cp' and adopt, if mySTEP adds NSWebKitFrame, GNUstep can more easily add it.

What would be good for Svn revision history is this approach:
a) branch GNUstep (svn cp /trunk /branches/mystep/trunk)
b) change the FS layout so that it matches the mystep one
c) extract the mystep changes over it
d) commit
Svn will then keep the files connected even if they moved and both sides can track changes more easily.

Of course it would be good if mySTEP / GNUstep would agree on coding conventions so that a simple 'svn cp' might do in the future. Not sure whether thats possible.

Thanks,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess