Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Call for volunteers: Backporting mySTEP changes
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:15:14 +0200

Helge Hess wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2007, at 10:59, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> On the FOSDEM we agreed that it would be great to un-fork mySTEP.
>
> Unless you are talking about a different discussion I think we actually
> agreed that its unlikely that this will be possible! :-)
> [well, 'unfork' in the political sense, yes, unfork in terms of code
> merge, no]
>
> The basic idea was to support forking, in the form of branches in the
> GNUstep Subversion repository. The goal was to easen sharing of *new*
> code in either of the branches. Eg if GNUstep adds NSAnimator, mySTEP
> can do a 'svn cp' and adopt, if mySTEP adds NSWebKitFrame, GNUstep can
> more easily add it.
>
> What would be good for Svn revision history is this approach:
> a) branch GNUstep (svn cp /trunk /branches/mystep/trunk)
> b) change the FS layout so that it matches the mystep one
> c) extract the mystep changes over it
> d) commit
> Svn will then keep the files connected even if they moved and both sides
> can track changes more easily.
>
> Of course it would be good if mySTEP / GNUstep would agree on coding
> conventions so that a simple 'svn cp' might do in the future. Not sure
> whether thats possible.

Thank you for this statement Helge, it explains what I wanted to say.
(Of course there still is my secrete agenda of swallowing up all other
projects by GNUstep, but I didn't want to publish that already)

We all hope to get to the described state as soon as the SVN access for
Nikolaus is working.

Cheers
Fred