Re: Weird color problem with GNUstep/Etoile

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Weird color problem with GNUstep/Etoile
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:22:41 +0200

Andreas Höschler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using the latest GNUstep
>
>     mkdir /usr/src/core
>     cd /usr/src/core
>     svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/tools/make/trunk/ make
>     svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/base/trunk/ base
>     svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/gui/trunk/ gui
>     svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/back/trunk/ back
>
> (art backend) and the Etoile 0.2 release. On a Solaris x86 machine I am
> encoutering a very weird color problem with this combo. I thaught I had
> hosed up my system somehow and therefore completely reinstalled
> everything including Solaris. I am through with the reinstallation right
> now and have exactly the same problem again. The colors in all GNUstep
> apps are hosed, e.g. AZBackground is green, text is red where it should
> be black, colors are changing arbitrarily when changing the selection of
> text (e.g. in Typewrite or Ink)... Other non-GNUstep-apps are ok.
>
> I doubt it has to do with Etoile since the problem persists when I do
>
>     defaults delete NSGlobalDomain GSAppKitUserBundles
>
> Any idea what that can be?

As you did not add a screen shot, it is hard to tell what went wrong.
The simplest solution could be that you specified these colours yourself
in a system colour file (normally ~/GNUstep/Library/Colors or
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/Colors). If this isn't the case, it may be a
drawing problem, this could happen if the colour masks get computed
incorrectly. In that case other backends may be unaffected, which could
be an easy way to determine that this is the case.

But nothing has changed in that area of GNUstep. If it worked before,
then there must be a different cause.

Cheers,
Fred