Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 01:37:33 -0500

On Aug 23, 2007, at 12:39 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:

Any font that has many uses is the same way, with many faces for different purposes and desired results. Typography is more than just "Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic" and it deserves a good system to handle its complexity. The OpenStep (and by extension, Cocoa) text network is rich enough to handle the complexity of professional typography, it just needs to be exercised.

Fontconfig is a fine tool for what it is, really it is. It's just not capable of dealing with anything beyond the basics. To make life easier for real
people, you have to do more. :)

I was the person who suggested that Isaiah create Font Manager, and I also suggested he build it on top of fontconfig exclusively. This was under the assumption that to use any font with the art backend was to have to convert it into a "strange", "non-standard" format, unused by the rest of the world, thus resigning us to an environment of only Helvetica and whatever else happened to be already converted to nfont.

After having read Jeff's history of nfont and the impetus behind it, and actually taking the time to learn how nfonts work, I realize that I was letting my ignorance get the better of me. Nfonts seem like a smart idea and I am going back on my suggestion of all-out abandoning them for fontconfig.

However, for the casual user unconcerned with typography (and even for those who are, see below), I don't see an issue with Isaiah's suggestion that Font Manager generate an nfont file. The important point here is to see that as the first step. Casual users could stop there, and use the font as it is. The conversion to an nfont package should be as invisible as possible for those concerned only with having a certain font available. For those who want a better typographic experience, that generated nfont package doesn't have to be the end. I'm imagining something like iTunes and it's ID3-editing interface as the front end to the nfont plist.

Imagine you do install DejaVu via Font Manager, and end up with the 5 nfont packages that occur as a result of mknfonts. Shouldn't it be possible to drag the Font Manager entry for DejaVu Serif Condensed on top of DejaVu Serif and have those be automatically joined into a single nfont (and thus a single entry in the font selection list)? Clicking on the new DejaVu Serif listing should allow the user to select a menu option named something like "Edit Font Settings", where they are given a nice UI for modifying any of the given options for an nfont, such as the RenderHints or Localized name.

Maybe I'm missing some technical reason why this is bad or not feasible, but it seems like a good way give everyone what they want: your typographic experience is directly proportionate to how much time you put in tweaking and modifying your font settings (or searching out fonts that are already pre-packaged as hand-crafted nfonts). Lazy or apathetic users can grab any font they want, knowing they will work; typophiles can tweak plist settings in a way that is more integrated with Font Manager in order to have fonts rendered and listed exactly as they want.

J.