Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?

From: Isaiah Beerbower
Subject: Re: Why dose art not use fontconfig?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:28:59 -0500

I also now see the reasoning behind nfonts. I didn't start this thread
just so I could shoot them down. I wanted to know what the original
reasons were ... and now I do.

Thanks,
Isaiah Beerbower

On 8/23/07, Jesse Ross <gnustep@jesseross.com> wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2007, at 12:39 AM, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>
> > Any font that has many uses is the same way, with many faces for
> > different
> > purposes and desired results. Typography is more than just
> > "Regular, Bold,
> > Italic, Bold Italic" and it deserves a good system to handle its
> > complexity.
> > The OpenStep (and by extension, Cocoa) text network is rich enough
> > to handle
> > the complexity of professional typography, it just needs to be
> > exercised.
> >
> > Fontconfig is a fine tool for what it is, really it is. It's just
> > not capable
> > of dealing with anything beyond the basics. To make life easier for
> > real
> > people, you have to do more. :)

> After having read Jeff's history of nfont and the impetus behind it,
> and actually taking the time to learn how nfonts work, I realize that
> I was letting my ignorance get the better of me. Nfonts seem like a
> smart idea and I am going back on my suggestion of all-out abandoning
> them for fontconfig.

View my website at www.ipaqah.com.

"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable." -- Mark Twain