Re: AlpenStep photos -> pre-FOSDEM workshop?

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: AlpenStep photos -> pre-FOSDEM workshop?
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 19:24:56 +0200

Am 03.09.2007 um 18:50 schrieb Nicolas Roard:

On 9/3/07, hns@computer.org <hns@computer.org> wrote:
looking forward to the next edition :-P

OK, so would the same time and place for next year be appropriate?

The place was nice and the time as well - although being a little
nearer to a large airport with convenient and inexpensive connections
would also be good...

on the other hand, it's because it is a bit remote that it is what it is :)

Les Marescottes is a great location and I personally would go there again.

It is just to think about a location where we can get more participants more easily.

Since most of the european developers are spread over whole europe, it should be not too far from a city with a large airport that serves as a hub for many different airlines so that everybody has a chance to get a less than 300 EUR
ticket...

But I don't really now such a place directly in the "Alps".

What I could imagine would be to have two such meetings per year. One
beginning of September and one end of March (well, we have to look for
Easter holidays and Skiing season conflicts).

End of march sound like a bad idea -- Fosdem beeing end of february,
that's a little too close. On the other hand, what we could do is have

Ok, I see.

But FOSDEM is not really a developer meeting where you find
time to hack anything. Its purpose is to present GNUstep to the public,
attract new users and developers. In my experience there isn't even
enough time to talk to each other...

a one-day event just before the fosdem...

Ok, that is an good option - to reduce the yearly GNUstep travel expenses budget...

And as a side benefit, there are probably most recent things to be shown during FOSDEM!

So we would have an AlpenSTEP meeting (per definition in the Austrian, French,German, Italian,
Swiss Alps)  and a separate pre-FOSDEM meeting...

What I know from other projects is that they make a group reservation at a not too expensive but cosy hotel well in advance and ALL project members stay there before and during FOSDEM. And if the hotel provides a conference facility: renting a room there is usually not very expensive.

That is certainly something to consider this time. But we must plan that really early.

So, let's make nails with heads:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CALL FOR INDICATING INTEREST:

Who of the readers is interested
a) to arrive on Thursday evening before the FOSDEM weekend?
b) have a GNUstep workshop on Friday
c) to stay in a group hotel (which probably needs fixed reservations within the next weeks)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And, we probably should try to start earlier, i.e. Friday evening and
having a full Saturday + some part of a Sunday, i.e. 2 nights for
hacking sessions.

We had a friday evening hacking session :)

Ah, I forgot since I did arrive on Saturday :) But it should be "official"...

Hopefully we can get a few more developers (Richard ? Nicola ? Oliver?
...)

They have missed a lot!

yes, hopefully next time we'll have even more developers coming !

Yes, that would be great.

Nikolaus