Re: NSURL loading system

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: NSURL loading system
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:07:16 +0100

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 10:58:07AM +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> On 2007-12-15 17:14:57 +0000 Philippe Roussel <p.o.roussel@free.fr>
> >I'm trying to GET/PUT files over HTTP and I'm a little confused by the
> >different possibilities offered by GNUstep. Is it better to use NSURL
> >facilities, NSURLHandle or NSURLConnection ?
> >What's the status of the classes implementations ? Do they match their
> >Cocoa versions in the last gnustep-base release ?
>
> NSURLHandle is complete, and actually goes well beyond what the Apple
> implementation offers since the apple version was rather poor and
> needed quite a bit of enhancement.
>
> The newer classes were introduced by Apple to remedy the shortcomings
> of their NSURLHandle stuff, but these classes are incomplete in
> GNUstep.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

> What I'd *like* people to do is write code that works on both systems,
> by completing the implementation of the new classes in GNUstep (and
> contributing them of course) and using the newe API, but if you really
> just want something to work on GNUstep, and need to go beyond the most
> basic use of http, then NSURLHandle will do the job.

NSURLHandle will probably work for me. I woud like a way to access the
response header but I guess I can do without it.

I'll get back to you if I work on NSURLConnection implementation but
it could take a while before I get the whole picture and understand
how to add missing features.

Thanks,
Philippe
--
Quand les types de 130 kilos disent certaines choses, les types de 60 kilos les
écoutent.. M. Audiard