Re: Update GNUstep on Debian to more recent version?

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Update GNUstep on Debian to more recent version?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:14:23 +0100

Am 19.12.2007 um 00:50 schrieb Markus Hitter:

Am 18.12.2007 um 21:01 schrieb Dennis Leeuw:

I think the easiest way is to remove the installed packages and go from source.
To me that is the easiest way.

Maybe, but this is a island solution, nobody else benefits from it.

Yes, that would be the case why I also would prefer (in the role of a dumb user) to find regular updates. BTW: this would also increase the mindshare for GNUstep if people repeatedly are reminded that GNUstep is proceeding. Software-publishing-psychology suggests a timing of minor updates every 6 weeks.

The other option would be to upgrade the entire distro to Testing or Unstable...

Is there a method in Debian to partially update the distro, i.e. choose which branch the package manager looks at?

So, the August 2006 package is the latest version and crashes anyways? Is it reasonable (in means of time) to wait for the next release?

Before someone draws false generalized conclusions - the Aug 06 GORM crashes for me only when trying to save a special set of given .gorm files in Cocoa NIB format.

Does someone know how such updates are made available by Debian? I get some every now and then for other packages. So it appears to be an active publishing process.

Nikolaus