Re: Update GNUstep on Debian to more recent version?

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Update GNUstep on Debian to more recent version?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:52:17 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:53:16 +0100, Markus Hitter написа:

> Would it be possible to shorten this chain somewhat, i.e. map GNUstep
> trunk to Debian unstable and do a (hopefully automated) fetch weekly?

No -- everything uploaded to Debian unstable should be "release"
quality.  Snapshots that are not blessed by upstream, as in this case, do
not meet this criteria.

Furthermore, because of the gratuitous SONAME bump in every release of -
base and -gui, this will break all GNUstep applications more often than
they break now.

Last, but not least, the Debian GNUstep team consists of 3 active people
-- 2 of them are not DDs and all of us participate in other projects.  We
don't have the resources to do this, but even if we did, it would be hard
enough.  Even uploading to `experimental' would be useless, because the
apps in sid have to be recompiled against the unstable libraries in
`experimental' and thus should depend on them, which is forbidden by the
Debian Policy for very good reasons (e.g. packages in `unstable' will be
uninstallable because they will depend on packages in `experimental').