Re: Things I'd like to hear more about (from FOSDEM notes)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Things I'd like to hear more about (from FOSDEM notes)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 01:20:31 -0800 (PST)

On 4 Mrz., 10:02, "Nicola Pero" <nicola.p...@meta-innovation.com>
wrote:
> > 1. I definitely want to hear more about OOo's possible involvement with
> > Renaissance.
>
> They were interested in using Renaissance to do a proper Apple Cocoa port
> of OpenOffice.  It seemed like an excellent idea for various reasons,
> but whether it will actually happen is unclear. ;-)
>
> Anyway, I'd like to get Renaissance to a polished 1.0 release, where (almost)
> everything is complete/finished except for the GUI builder (which won't be
> there in time (/at all) for 1.0).  It seems that a number of people (including
> OpenOffice) are interested in GUIs that are generated directly from software
> and so don't want a GUI builder at all - so paradoxically they are interested
> in Renaissance because it does *not* have/require a GUI builder :-)
>
> Thanks

I had a similar discussion about wxWidgets wrapping GNUstep.

IMHO, people do not really understand that GNUstep is already a full
cross-platform toolkit plus GUI builder so they want to hide it behind
their preferred cross-platform toolkit. They think the only approacht
to be cross-platform is software defined widget trees.

They already have something for their GUI toolkit which gives them
more or less native look&feel on all platforms and now want to extend
this to different systems. And here they collide with the fact that
GNUstep already provides the same (plus much more) but on a different
philosophy (have the same look&feel on all platforms).

So I think that it is really difficult to convince *existing* projects
with a long history to rewrite from scratch starting with the GNUstep
platform. And, convince them to use the same look&feel on all
platforms (even if that is not harmonized).

Nikolaus