Re: GNUstep Google Summer of Code 2008

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep Google Summer of Code 2008
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:50:16 +0100

Le 19 mars 08 à 12:50, David Chisnall a écrit :

On 19 Mar 2008, at 09:19, Markus Hitter wrote:

Am 19.03.2008 um 08:14 schrieb David Wetzel:

Am 19.03.2008 um 01:37 schrieb Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>:
How about an adaptor between CoreData and a real database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)?

GNUstep has EOF/GDL2, OS X has not, just Java based.

Not to lower GDL2's value, but for some reason Apple has replaced EOF with CoreData. My impression is, they drastically reduced the (exposed) API while retaining everything most programmers need.

A colleague recently pointed me at a Cocoa developer podcast which complained about CoreData as a horribly broken subset of EOF.

May be. I don't know EOF very well :-)

If a CoreData-style wrapper around GDL2 could be written (I don't know either API well enough to know how hard this would be) then it could be very attractive to Cocoa developers (port CoreData apps to GDL2 and get all of the extra shiny EOF features for free) and provide GNUstep with a bit more exposure.

iirc Markus already wrote such a wrapper around GDL (the SOPE fork of GDL 1)

I don't know how much Apple are still pushing CoreData - it doesn't do anything nice with spotlight indexing, and the big blob files don't play nicely with File Vault, so I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly stop pushing it soon.

These problems exist with EOF too, no?
By looking at the new CoreData features they introduced with Leopard and how many Cocoa developers use and praise it, I would say this won't happen anytime soon. Personally I quite like CoreData, the API is relatively simple and straightforward to use. It leverages Cocoa well (NSPredicate, NSError, NSDocument, bindings etc.). EOF API is too complex for my taste. A refreshed EOF/GDL that leverages GNUstep, as CoreData does it, could be nice though.

Quentin.