Re: GUI on OS X?

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: GUI on OS X?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:29:14 -0700

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:12 PM, David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a howto somewhere that tells me how to build and run DBModeler on OS
> X?
>
> Thanks!

there is no howto at the moment, DBModeler on OS X is still a work in
progress and i'm not sure if it is fully functional.

It appears that there are still 3 .gorm files without .nib file equivalent,
(we'd started moving renaissance and ran into technical/motivational issues)

the bulk of the app is hand-written GUI code and should work, the
stuff that is missing is the inspectors, and the preferences window,
so you'd need to make .nib files for these or create .gsmarkup files
for them...

this is where i'd run into issues with renaissance because of it's
autosizing nature, and the in general fixed sized/space conservative
nature of inspectors, it would probably help to have a gnustep-gui
installation with gorm most of them are fairly easy to figure out from
the headers, but the Attributes inspector is fairly complicated, if
you need a screenshot of it let me know and that should explain it.

that said it doesn't really rely on gnustep-gui, and should run with
the cocoa native AppKit, just get gnustep-make, compile the
gnustep-base additions, and renaissance, then build gdl2

If you were planning on creating an EOInterface native application
using the gdl2 gorm palette, it hasn't been fully ported to interface
builder,
it needs to use the interface builder private API described here.
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?17892
there should be some TODO's or FIXME's in the palette code describing where
(it currently uses gorm specific versions of those methods,
but gorm should now be able to emulate the IB private methods so it
could just move to that).

if you in fact want to run it with gnustep-gui, I really have no idea
how to get that working on OS X. there is definitely work to do to get
a fully functional DBModeler on OS X, but if its something you feel
like working on, don't hesitate to let me know if there are any
further questions..

cc'ing Blake as he did most of the work of porting DBModeler to OS X,
and might have something to add to this.