Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my ta

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my talk
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:52:20 +0000

On 21 Feb 2009, at 02:06, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

- manual GNUstep installation from source is still not a no-brainer. Incomprehensible for a newbee with no idea about the concepts and structures of GNUstep (for instance the different domains). Despite I already did this some time ago I still had to think somewhat hard about certain details and read the several INSTALL files over and over again. You need to know quite a lot about GNUstep internals to understand what you're doing and what to do if something doesn't work. Luckily I also archive the discuss-gnustep and gnustep-dev lists and could look up things I vaguely remembered (mostly file system layout stuff). Also, Dennis Leeuw's build guide was of great help for me.

This makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. To install GNUstep on FreeBSD, I do this:

1) Install the gnustep-make port.
2) svn co the three core modules.
3) gmake each and gmake install as root.
4) Profit!!

Am I missing out on some vital bits of understanding? Is it more difficult if you use the FHS layout (but why would you do that?)

David

P.S. The FreeBSD ports tree has the latest GNUstep release (1.18/0.16). I used to run svn because there were bugs in NSOutlineView the latest version that were fixed in trunk. Now I run it mostly out of habit. Installing the latest stable release of GNUstep and Étoilé is just a matter of doing 'portinstall etoile'. It shouldn't be more difficult than this on Ubuntu - isn't Ubuntu meant to be Linux for ordinary people?