updating an existing GNUstep installation (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - t

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: updating an existing GNUstep installation (was: Re: FOSDEM Aftermath - the Hotel / Notes from preparing and giving my talk)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 04:05:42 +0100

I am going to answer several mails at once, sorted by topic

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: Truls Becken <truls.becken@gmail.com>

I could be wrong, but isn't this just ./configure; make; make install
in each of -make, -base, -gui, and -back, plus making sure to source
GNUstep.sh and to start gdomap on boot?

Try sudo -E

Thanks Truls for this hint, that solved it (you see, I'm not a command line hero)

Von: Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com>

In my experience, the best choice for installing GNUstep from source is to start with gnustep-startup and use its ./ InstallGNUstep script.

Von: "Riccardo Mottola" <multix@ngi.it>

Apart from that, if you have debian get all the dependencies for you and then install your apps(without overwriting the existing apps, but installing "from scratch" starting from core) it is veryeasy: ./configure && make install works for whole core. I do it all the time. It works for me on gentoo, debian, netbsd, openbsd, freebsd and (partly, using stuff from sunfreeware) on solaris. YOu can isntall in the system domain or in the local domain: it will work both ways.

Von: David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>

This makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. To install GNUstep on FreeBSD, I do this:

1) Install the gnustep-make port.
2) svn co the three core modules.
3) gmake each and gmake install as root.
4) Profit!!

Am I missing out on some vital bits of understanding? Is it more difficult if you use the FHS layout (but why would you do that?)

Von: Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@meta-innovation.com>

I think this is the reason you got into trouble - you had already an installation of GNUstep on your machine - from your distribution -, and were trying to overwrite it with a new installation - from source. That is reasonably easy once you know how things work "internally" (filesystem layouts etc), but it could definitely be confusing if it's your first installation ;-)

The standard and easy way to get this working under GNU/Linux is to add

 . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

to your /etc/profile.

Von: David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>

I believe that a number of Linux distributions now include something like this in /etc/profile:

for I in /etc/profile.d/*
do
        source $I
done

On these systems, it would be nice to install (or symlink) GNUstep.sh in /etc/profile.d.

Thanks David, this is actually the case on Ubuntu too, and I did exactly as you proposed now (remove the sourcing from /etc/ bash.bashrc and symlink GNUstep.sh in /etc/profile.d)

Thanks to everybody for all the tips, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first mail (or I mixed up simply installing GNUstep with what I did): I wanted to update the existing GNUstep installation (e.g. what I installed with Synaptic). Nicola was right on the money with what he said: I first had to figure out where all the GNUstep stuff was gone in the sort of FHS layout Ubuntu uses (everything is smeared all over the place this way - did I mention I hate FHS?) and then find a way to pull the right strings and push the right switches to make everything end up in the place it should. This is - well - a special situation, not exactly what a beginner should face (but then again I often hear the advice to "install from SVN" here on the list when something doesn't work. So "updating an existing GNUstep installation from SVN" is maybe not so unusual). I also found out that without copying core/make/installation-domais.conf to /etc/GNUstep/ and editing it several things end up in /local/ subdirectories when doing a ./configure --with-layout=fhs-system in gnustep-make thus not overwriting the existing installation.

My idea here: have an simple option (for configure of gnustep-make?) that triggers an update of an existing installation exactly as it was before. Is something like this doable and realistic?

regards,

        Lars

P.S.: I have attached an (revised) list of commands I used to update my GNUstep installation on Ubuntu