Re: XCB (Was Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question ))

From: Omniscient
Subject: Re: XCB (Was Re: Window managers ( was Re: newbie question ))
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 23, 10:12 pm, "Fred Kiefer" <FredKie...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> could you please detail a bit on the benefits of an XCB backend compared to
> an Xlib one?
> As you already pointed out newer versions of Xlib are internally able to use
> XCB, so what can we gain by using it directly?
>
> Fred

One point is whatever gnustep use, I believe it is still impossible to
completely
eliminate the use of Xlib due to other protocol that rely on xlib's
headers like dnd or lib like
xinput or xim etc. Unless you guys want to make them all work and easy
for me to make
use of xlib for things I want then I'd be happy. Since it is not that
people are starting to use xcb
for everything so please understand that getting some example code to
implement certain
thing could be hard.

PS. For xinput devices (eg. for wacom), my lastest patch was broken
somehow but didn't have time
to figure out what was wrong, soon I'd need it. Though if would be
nice if someone could help taking a look at it.