Renovating GNUstep Software Index into an App-Store...

From: address@hidden
Subject: Renovating GNUstep Software Index into an App-Store...
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 01:49:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
recently there was the idea to improve and migrate our GNUstep
Software Index http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/ into a real
Application Store.

And, it was proposed to make it a showcase for GSWeb (http://
wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Creating_A_Simple_GSWeb_Application).

Since I have nil experience with the latter, I would propose to
discuss what we need to do to transform the html/php/mysql code&data
from SWI into a GSWeb app. And, how to install it on the www.gnustep.org
server.

Then, we can add new features to simplify publishing, updating and
tracking your apps. E.g.
* subscribe to applications (get an e-mail for updates)
* improve the output of http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/plist.php
so that we can provide a simple Installer application (that either
downloads a binary or even fetches sources and runs ./configure &&
make install)
* record dependencies
* make categories and tags editable
* connect to bug reporting

So what do you think what (now whom) we need to do to achieve this
target?

Nikolaus