Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Discuss-gnustep Digest, Vol 87, Issue 24
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:33:04 +0100

Hi,

I see your point about QT and there are QT apps out there but KDE very quickly took up the title of Desktop Enviroment based on QT. GAP is just a few applications at the moment, they are doing good things but I don't get the impression they are building a desktop. Backbone has been dead for many years. There are many good applications out there built on the GNUstep libraries, it is confusing if you say I should not call those GNUstep applications. So I guess what we need is a name for everything GNUstep is not, LastStep, OtherStep, I don't know, should be something catchy and still pay tribute to NeXTstep roots.

I think you miss a bit the point. Why dilute the efforts more? There are three more or less active "desktop" projects: Etoile, GAP and Backbone. They have different philosophies and different ways to approach their goals and also consequently different roads to completions. Resources are limited, so progress is what it can be. COmpare to what Etoile and GAP where 2 years ago.

Also, nothing prevents you from mixing, you can install TextEdit from Backbone and LaternaMagica from GAP. GAP tries to have maintain the classic interface.

GNUstep itself offers inside its user applications and example very useful tools for a desktop: workspace, system preferences, Ink... GAP for example doesn't want to duplicate them (for now, at least). But it is unlikely that new applications will be added to GNUstep itself if there is not a compelling reason, but those existing can be improved of course.

Riccardo