Re: Adopt a platform today!

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Adopt a platform today!
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:56:37 +0000

On 17 Feb 2011, at 22:15, Jason Felice wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Chisnall <csdavec@swan.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Some time around the last release, there was an idea that we should
> > document the platforms that we actually care about in the next
> > release.  If you care about a platform, then you should:
> >
> > - Run the test suite on that platform
> > - Report (or, ideally) fix failures
> > - Be the contact point for bug reports that are specific to that
> > platform
> >

> Which tests?  Do they require manual intervention?

They shouldn't do, just do:

svn co svn://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/tests/testsuite/trunk tests
cd tests
gnustep-tests base
gnustep-tests gui

And report any failures.

> My firewall has too much CPU and can run a few VMs of 64-bit and 32-bit Intel
> OS's.  If things can be automated, I can run Tinderbox or other build clients.

If you want to automate it, just have a script svn up in make/base/gui/back,
make install for each (can be into a subdirectory of a test user's home -
that's what I do on the machine where I run the static analyser) and then svn
up the tests and run them.

It's nice to have them run regularly and regressions reported, but it's most
important that they are run just before a release, so that we can fix things
that we broke since the last release.

David