Re: Test framework RFC

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Test framework RFC
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:53:09 +0100

Hi,
We are also moving the testsuites for the base and gui libraries into those
packages, so that when you get those source packages you will also get their
regression tests and be able to run the tests once you build the code.

That sounds great and perhaps replies to a question I asked in the other thread.
I've done a lot of work on trying to make the test framework simple, portable,
easy to use and friendly, but this would now really benefit from feedback from
other people, so please could you try it out.

THanks for the great work in advace.. we will test the testsuite by running the tests :)
What I'm looking for in the way of feedback at this point is help in improving
user friendliness of the testsuite ... simplification rather than additional
features, clearer documentation and explanation etc.  If people spot some huge
glaring omission of important functionality then we might still have time to
remedy it, but I'd rather any functional changes were to remove unnecessary
complexity, not to add new features.
Also, I'd like the aim here to be more user friendly than other test frameworks ... the idea is to make it as easy as possible for people who may have never used any regression testing system to help with GNUstep. So we want simple english and clear terminology (to encourage people who are not native english speakers) rather than the use of terminology and concepts which are used by other systems.

This sounds great. Many test suites require additional software, additional dependencies or even dedicated languages, this discourages the user. If everything is easy to run, we can ask a user who experiences problems to run the testsuite as a sort of "sanity check" of the platform.

Riccardo