Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.2

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep Objective-C Runtime 1.2
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:38:09 +0000

Nope, that's expected.  The configure test is checking GNU Vs NeXT there.  It
places the GCC and GNUstep runtimes in one category and the NeXT (Apple Legacy)
and Apple (Apple Modern) runtimes in the other category.

This is because gcc and clang use -fgnu-runtime and -fnext-runtime to select
between the two ABIs, with -fobjc-nonfragile-abi to differentiate within the
group:

-fgnu-runtime:                                          GCC ABI (supported by
GCC and GNUstep runtimes)
-fgnu-runtime -fobjc-nonfragile-abi:            GNUstep ABI (GNUstep runtime
only, maybe GCC 4.7 runtime?)
-fnext-runtime:                                         Apple Legacy runtime /
NeXT runtime
-fnext-runtime -fobjc-nonfragile-abi            Apple Modern runtime

On OS X, selecting -m32 or -m64 also slightly changes the ABI, but not much.

If you are using clang and the GNUstep runtime, I'd recommend that you also
tell make's configure script that you want to use the non-fragile ABI.  This
gives you a few extra things (non-fragile ivars, proper support for
-forwardingTargetForSelector:, safe automatic IMP caching).

David