Re: NSOperation bug

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSOperation bug
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:41:55 +0000

On 2 Mar 2011, at 08:21, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> It looks to me like I just never implemented support for 'concurrent'
> operations in base (since operations actually run in parallel in separate
> threads anyway, it probably seemed pointless) ... and probably this needs
> significant rewriting.  I'll try to get round to that soon though.

Concurrent operations are used for things that handle their own concurrency -
for example something that spawns an NSTask, or issues an XMLRPC message.

I looked at the NSOperation code, and it did seem that code for supporting
concurrent and non-concurrent operations was there (interleaved in a strange
way, that made it hard to follow).  I also wasn't entirely convinced by the
double condition variable.  This looked like it could cause deadlock, but I
didn't have enough time to check exactly if / when it would.

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103