Re: Question about WindowMaker

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Question about WindowMaker
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:04:56 +0100

Hi,

Martin, you essentially answered what I would have written. The question of Omar is confuse.

At the bare minimum on a unix environment you need an X server (although technically you could make gnustep run on the framebuffer). On a typical linux computer, this will be Xorg or Xfree for all environments (KDE, GNOME, GNUstep....). This is a common point.

Then you run a WindowManager. We are "agnostic" but we can say that WindowMaker is our preferred one. On GNOME you may run sawfish. You will always be running a window manager on X. It can be so integrated and part of the desktop environment that you aren't aware of it.

At this point you can use applications like Xterm, a calculator or even a browser like Firefox.

If you want to have "more" then you need something for your workspace/desktop. It can be a simple file manager or something designed to be a more complete experience. Nautilus, Thunar... and for GNUstep it is GWorkspace. Note that GWorkspace is not strictly needed for a gnustep application to work and that it can be replaced by another application with corresponding functionality.

So there is no "integration" of these components in the sense that one does it all, but they can collaborate each other.

Riccardo

While the above is pretty much an RTFM question, it is
probably worthwhile to point out the relationship between
WindowMaker and GNUstep as well as recent activity on WM
development.

WindowMaker provides a GNUstep-like look-and-feel, but it is not
even based on GNUstep (and of course not on GWorkspace!).
However it is designed to allow good integration of GNUstep
applications, like GWorkspace is one.

While WindowMaker development had been pretty dead for quite a
while (in fact, the application is very stable, so development
was not strictly necessary), there has been quite a bit of
initiative lately, Carlos Mafra maintains a git repo for bug
fixes and also one for new WM features. I provide automatic
Debian builds based on that code (see [2]).