Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 14:33:06 +0100

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 10:51, Martin Dietze <di@fh-wedel.de> wrote:

Ideally the debianisation code should be moved into the source
revision control of the software whenever possible, not only for
the GS libs but also for applications based on GS. If those
packages are still maintained from my experience developers will
not object getting that 'debian/' directory from somewhere and
keeping it in the source tree, probably accepting some patches
every now and then. We've been using this approach quite
successfully with Carlos Mafra and his git repo for WindowMaker
(from which I auto-build new .deb packages whenever there are
new revisions in the git).

Ideally again this approach would have the debianisation
from the sources leading the way for distro maintainers.

Agreed.

I would do the packaging, but I'm not comfortable enough with either debianisation process, nor with the internals of GNUstep. I've only had experience with relatively small packages, and Debian's strict policies with FHS make me uneasy. And the responsibility of being a packager is… well, a big responsibility ;)

--
Regards,

Ivan Vučica