Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Best Linux distro for GNUstep?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:29:39 +0100

Hi,

Dario Niedermann wrote:
What's the best Linux distribution for installing, setting up and using
GNUstep?

Feel free to use your own definition of "best"...
If you plan to install debian by compiling it from sources, many distirbution are convenient. Most offer the required packages and compiler. Debian, SuSE, Gentoo, Fedora will work fine because I tested them. I personally use Debian and Gentoo daily (well, as linux, I prefer BSD).

If you intend to use the ready packages, things are trickier. Personaly I wouldn't recommend Debian: I don't agree how their packages are set up, several apps are missing and the update cycle is slow. However what is there works, I extra have a test machine for that. Gentoo uses to be quite good, your mileage may vary.
FreeBSD has good packages, but it is not linux :)

Riccardo