Re: fix for startup of AClock

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: fix for startup of AClock
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 09:51:07 +0200

Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi Fred,

I cleaned up some of the old apps that way, but only recently discovered that the apps do not start up at all if written that way. Sebastian essentially confirms this.

Even if the fix is quite simple, I don't understand why it broke. It doesn't work for me on plain 32biit x86 and sparc on linux or NetBSD iwth the gcc runtime. Thus it is not at all libobjc2 or clang.

The answer is quite simple: NSApplicationMain now does a bit more than just creating the shared application and starting the run loop. In particular it loads the main model file (have a look at its implementation in Functions.m).

This used to be different in prior versions of GNUstep, where the main model file was loaded in -launchApplication. AFAIR, this was changed for compatibility with Apple.

Wolfgang