Re: Obtaining a UUID NSString

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Obtaining a UUID NSString
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:05:56 +0200

Hello Austin,

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:23:52PM -0500, Austin Clow wrote:
> On Mac OS X, I use the CoreFoundation functions to get UUIDs (that is the
> only function of CF I really use directly), is there a way in GNUstep to
> obtain a UUID as an NSString?
>
> I have tried searching thru the documentation, but since it is not searchable
> (unless I am missing something), but I am yet to find a UUID method.
>
> Note: I read somewhere that CF was being implemented in GNUstep, but it
> doesn't seem to be apart of the general release? If this is true, I would
> still like to avoid installing that until it become apart of the standard
> provided libraries. As I am new to GNUstep please forgive my ignorance.

We have a CF replacement called corebase [0], but unfortunately the
UUID functions are still missing atm. But there is a ETUUID class in
EtoileFoundation [1], which might be useful for you (it installs a
category on NSString which provides a +UUIDString method).

Cheers,

Niels

[0] svn://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/corebase/trunk
[1] svn://svn.gna.org/svn/etoile/trunk/Etoile/Frameworks/EtoileFoundation