Re: Garbage Collection

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Garbage Collection
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 22:52:58 +0100

On 25 May 2011, at 12:47, David Chisnall wrote:

> To use this, all you need to do is compile the runtime with boehm_gc=yes and
> add -fobic-gc-only to your OBJCFLAGS everywhere else.  Please let me know if
> you find anything that breaks.

Something in the changes to support GC with clang/libobjc2 has broken building
for GC with gcc as follows:

In file included from NSConcreteHashTable.m:38:0:
NSConcretePointerFunctions.h: In function ‘pointerFunctionsAssign’:
NSConcretePointerFunctions.h:127:32: error: ‘itemptr’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
NSConcretePointerFunctions.h:127:32: note: each undeclared identifier is
reported only once for each function it appears in
make[4]: *** [obj/libgnustep-base.obj/NSConcreteHashTable.m.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [internal-library-all_] Error 2
make[2]: *** [libgnustep-base.all.library.variables] Error 2
make[1]: *** [internal-all] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

It's really good that you are working on getting GC to work with clang, but you
need to *not* break GC when building with gcc!