Re: GNUstep

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 19:10:06 -0400

Amr,

You're wrong on a couple of levels here....

1) GNUstep is not an implementation of NeXTSTEP... it started as an
implementation of the OpenStep standard and has followed Cocoa since
the Apple merger with NeXT.

2) In order to incorporate their code we would need them to have them
assign copyright to the FSF which is *highly* unlikely to happen in my
opinion.

3) Additionally, even if we did incorporate it, we would never under
any circumstance replace the license.  The only people who can do that
are the people who wrote it.

While your initiative is appreciated, it would be best to consult with
someone in this project who is a maintainer i.e. myself, Richard
Frith-MacDonald, Nicola Pero and Fred Kiefer before making a move to
incorporate outside code into this project.

Please remember it is still acceptable to do one or both of the following:

1) Fork Chameleon and make changes to make it work with GNUstep as
well as make it more complete.
2) Continue with our existing implementation of UIKit and use ideas
from what they have done.

Thanks, GC