Re: Cross Platform GNUStep GUI with Native Look-And-Feel

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Cross Platform GNUStep GUI with Native Look-And-Feel
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 08:53:46 +0200

Hi,

aditya siram wrote:
Thank you all for the information. Is there currently an open-source
application created with GnuStep that runs with a native look-and-feel
on Windows, Linux and Mac? It would be nice if there were some
reference point.
First of all: Linux doesn't have a native look-and-feel at all... For me, Linux or BSD means GNUstep. Many people use GNOME and this is why there is a GTK/Gnome theme in the works, but using GNUstep on Linux is 100% native.

Said that, I work on several applications which run both on GNUstep and on Mac natively compiled on both. Some of them were even GNUstep applications ported from GNUstep to Mac! Several of them work on Windows too, also with the native windows theme, but not all (or not yet because I didn't port them: mingw doesn't provide a full POSIX environment, so adjustment to the code may be necessary).

For a reference and many Screenshots check out my own blog, http://multixden.blogspot.com/ and the GNUstep Application Project.

My first Cocoa+GNUstep application was and still is PRICE, http://price.sf.net : since release 0.2 it has been designed to work on both evnironments.

So do LaternaMagica, FTP, Vespucci, DataBasin, Graphos and many others.

Graphos started on GNUstep and has been perfectly ported, you may check some screenshots here:
http://gap.nongnu.org/graphos/index.html#screenshots

Grr, the RSS reader, was a GNUstep app ported too:
here on GNUstep:
http://gap.nongnu.org/grr/index.html

and here natively on windows with one of the first working native theme bundles:
http://multixden.blogspot.com/2010/02/grr-working-on-windows.html

You may notice the native window decorations and the native menus. I don't have a Mac screenshot at hand, but it works and I also provide a binary.

The Game GShisen runs everywhere too:
Check yourself here:
http://gap.nongnu.org/gshisen/index.html

So you see, it has been done before, it works and there are many degrees of freedom and customization.

Cheers.
   Riccardo