Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us al

From: Lucas Holt
Subject: Re: Steven P. Jobs 1955-2011: Here's to the crazy one who inspired us all...
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:36:18 -0400

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    It may also be the "patent clause". I personally am opposed to software
>    patents (especially the farce they are today), but I suspect the patent
>    clause is as much of a reason as is the anti-tivoization clause.
>
> It could be so.

The patent clause is an issue to some projects.  OpenBSD has avoided the Apache
license (2.0) for similar reasons.  I personally favor the patent clause.

> Either way, I think it means that they are operating as part of a
> system that threatens our freedom, and what they dislike about the
> GPL3 is that it resists in an effective way.

I would agree with this statement.  We (BSD folks) are part of that system in
the sense that we allow it to operate.   It is considered a good thing to us
that anyone can use our source code for any purpose provided credit is given in
the source (which may not be publicly visible).   Some of the BSD projects are
used in commercial products like routers, set top boxes and so forth; those
companies avoid the GPL and they finance the FreeBSD foundation, etc.  There's
a conflict of interest in providing "Free" software for those projects.

Not all BSD developers have issue with the GPL.  For instance, MirBSD
developers work on Debian as well.

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
MidnightBSD.org (Free OS)