Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Voting: do you want to move to git?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:34:37 +0100

If there is a move to a DVCS, as I've already said, I'd support Mercurial. Git is quite unfriendly, and GNUstep would be the only project I'd force myself to use it with, and only in cases where I couldn't use hg-git.

There are problems with moving to any other VCS -- whether it's DVCS or not. Just two of them:
- Do we import 30000+ revisions of history? (That would make one big, big DVCS repository. I'd say an SVN archive should be kept at least read only.)
- Do we import subprojects separately? (Definitely a good idea, whether the history is imported or not.)

As Fred said, we might not want to rush.