Re: git mirror

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: git mirror
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:06:01 +0100

Le 15 févr. 2012 à 11:37, Derek Fawcus a écrit :

> Oh,  and it seems git-hg interaction is available:
>
> http://hg-git.github.com/
> https://github.com/schacon/hg-git
>
> Which is an hg plugin giving r/w access to git.
>
> It seems there is also the opposite - git access to hg (ala git svn),
> but I don't know how the capabilities compare to the hg-git plugin above.
>
> https://github.com/offbytwo/git-hg
>
> So I still suggest using git or hg as the master,  and having svn as
> an adjunct.

I fully agree with having Git or Hg as the master rather than SVN.

In the past, I used both SVK and Git to access the Étoilé SVN repository, it
proved to be a bad experience in both cases. It works well 90% time but it can
really go wrong, especially when Git or SVN branches are involved (rebase or
merging between branches, locally or in the master repository, giving crazy
results). Most of time, I was not able to understand how to fix it because
these bridges tend to be convoluted and have many caveats, given that SVN  and
DVCS are completely different beasts.
That was few years ago, so Git-svn could be more mature now, I don't know.

Cheers,
Quentin.