Re: NSXML* classes

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSXML* classes
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:09:29 +0000

On 23 Feb 2012, at 17:48, Gregory Casamento wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I see that Doug replied to the rest of it, I just have a couple questions...
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
>> On 22.02.2012 20:45, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>>>
>>> There are unit tests for the XPath code, but it's only one or two
>>> cases.   I need to build out the test cases to more thoroughly test
>>> the code.
>>>
>>> Anyone else who is interested should (if they would like) also put
>>> more cases in the make sure we have full coverage.
>>

>> What I was looking for was a specific example that shows the need for the
>> current retain count handling. We can only touch this, if we know about the
>> problems we try to solve here. I don't like the current solution too much,
>> as it wont work with GC or ARC, but wont touch it until we have enough test
>> cases that show that an alternative solution is actually working.
>
> I'm wondering why the current approach wouldn't work with GC or ARC.
> Can you elaborate?

I may not be thinking the same thing as Fred, but I'd like to jump in here and
say that -retainCount is deprecated and does not work in GC or ARC, and you
can't do anything in -retain or -release either.
I'm not sure what the correct ownership model is for a tree of nodes, but it's
fairly clear that the current code at least needs some change to avoid using
retain counts.