Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Debian and Ubuntu packages
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:49:22 +0100

On 14 Aug 2012, at 09:32, Philippe Roussel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 14/08/2012 09:54, David Chisnall a écrit :
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> On 13 Aug 2012, at 22:29, Philippe Roussel wrote:
>>
>>> I built and installed libobjc2 from svn trunk to /usr/local with
>>> make -f Makefile install
>>
>> On GNU/Linux, /usr/local is not in the compiler's search path, so you will
>> need to specify this path explicitly.  I would recommend setting PREFIX to
>> /usr for GNU/Linux.
>
> Now I'm lost...
>
> I had tried adding #include <objc/capabilities.h> (or others files that
> don't exist in the gcc libobjc) and the compiler didn't shout at me so
> it must be that it had /usr/local/include/ in the search path, I think.
>
> Anyway, I started from scratch and installed libobjc2 in /usr as you
> suggested. Now the library builds but is linked with
>
>> libobjc.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libobjc.so.4 (0x00007f746765d000)
>
> and I don't know how to specify that I want it to use
> /usr/lib/libobjc.so.4 instead. I could probably configure gnustep make
> with --with-objc-lib-flag=-l:libobjc.so.4.6 but I guess that this .6
> will change with a new release.
>
> I'm thinking about building libobjc2 so that the library is called
> libobjc2.so. That could simplify thinks a bit.

If you want to use libobjc2 with gnustep, the easy way to do it (unless things
have changed) is:

1. configure/install gnustep-make
2. build/install libobjc2 in the gnustep environment (should automatically
install it where it will be found)
3. configure/install gnustep-make again (so it finds libobjc2 and uses it) ...
takes about 20 seconds
4. build everything else

Doing things this way imposes that 20 second delay while you re-do
gnustep-make, but means you don't have to worry about how you configure
libobjc2 and where it gets installed.  For me, with an unreliable memory, (and
probably most people who will only set up new systems occasionally and won't
remember what they did last time), that's a major win.