Re: PlayingSound

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: PlayingSound
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:57:57 -0700

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Stefan Bidi <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Steve Van Voorst <svanvoorst@hughes.net>
> wrote:
>>  1) I'm new to GNUstep/Linux, coming from MacOS.
>>  2) Current Operating System = Ubuntu 12.04
>>  3) When I run the following code:

>> I'm also curious what happened to NSBeep().  I hear nothing.  The above code
>> does produce a sound.
>
> My experience has been that most computers no longer have a PC speaker
> and so beeps just don't work.  I took a quick look at the code in back
> and it simply uses XBeep() for this functionality.  It's possible your
> computer doesn't support it.

On ubuntu 12.04 the pcspkr module may be disabled or even blacklisted
by default.

So you may have to do:
   sudo modprobe pcspkr
to activate it (supposing, of course, that there actually is a speaker).

sudo apt-get install beep
and then run beep to test.

(Of course, i guess i'm supposing that NSBeep() goes through beep
or pcspkr somehow, which i don't know.)

dan