Re: Pending release of base library ...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Pending release of base library ...
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 08:19:11 +0000

On 28 Jan 2013, at 09:17, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> I won't be making it to FOSDEM this year, but I'd really like to make a new
> release of gnustep-base in time for it (ie at the end of this week).
>
> This would technically be a subminor release (no breaking of binary backward
> compatibility that I know of), but as well as a lot of bugfixes and OSX
> compatibility tweaks, this contains significant changes to sorting (with a
> new sorting algorithm used by default), SSH/TLS support (all the URL APIs
> should now support HTTPS via GNUTLS), and a lot of tweaks by David for
> Objective-C2 and ARC support.
>
> Please could people give the current code in svn trunk a good test this week,
> and in particular, if anyone does spot any ABI breakage ... please flag it up.

Unfortunately, almost immediately after I sent this email I fell ill with some
weird virus that inflames nerves and has made it pretty much impossible to sit
at a desk and do anything ... so I haven't been able to address any problems
coming up, and contrary to my expectations it seems there are quire a few:
almost all related to libobjc2 compatibility since there have been a lot of
libobjc2 changes since the last release.

It would seem stupid to produce a new base release which works fine with
traditional libobjc, but has problems with some versions of libobjc2, but
starting today I'm away on a business trip for three days (and David, who's
doing libobjc2 stuff, will be at FOSDEM and travelling there/back) so we can't
resolve/test things in time and are going to have to delay a new release until
after FOSDEM.

Sorry about that, but we can still aim for a release within a week or so after
FOSDEM.