Re: GWorkspace ddbd dying when mdextractor connects

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GWorkspace ddbd dying when mdextractor connects
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 17:26:25 +0100

Hi,

On 02/16/13 22:47, Fred Kiefer wrote:
Looks like I was wrong. The signature of userMetadataForPath: hasn't changed during the 64bit changes, so this is completely unrelated. My new guess is that the problem is in the ddbd code or in the NSProxy handling. You could investigate the first possibility by adding a lot of debug logs into ddbd.m. For the second option Richard is the one to talk to.

There is one strange thing I see in the code in ddbd.m. You don't retain the connection, still you release it in the -dealloc method. Most likely you should retain it in the -init method. Forgetting that, together with this code in main():

    CREATE_AUTORELEASE_POOL (pool);
      DDBd *ddbd = [[DDBd alloc] init];
    RELEASE (pool);

may result in the connection going away too soon.
Perhaps? But why? And moreover, why doesn't that happen on 32bit and on all machines, Autoreleasepools are hopefully predictable.

Sebastian, as a test, you could remove the second release

Riccardo