Re: GWorkspace ddbd dying when mdextractor connects

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GWorkspace ddbd dying when mdextractor connects
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 02:13:34 +0100

On 17. 2. 2013., at 21:23, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> I agree here. I thus removed the release of the connection.
>
> I doubt however this will solve the crash, since at most we would get a
> release problem on ddbd closure.

Without looking at the issue more deeply, perhaps not. Maybe the crashes
currently occur because some object tries to talk to the connection object,
which is released. And the singleton does not reinstantiate the object because
the singleton's pointer is not nil, so it has no idea it should do so.

So unless some object might talk to NSConnection's instance, I doubt the crash
will occur on ddbd closure (if this was indeed the cause of the crash).

I think I spotted another bug. When DDBd is being released, default connection
object still has it as its delegate. Since this was set in -init:
    [conn setDelegate: self];
I'd clean it up in -dealloc. (Apple does recommend such stuff is cleaned up
before -dealloc, but whatever.)

Speaking of Apple, they deprecated +[NSConnection defaultConnection] in 10.6.
See [1].

////////////

By the way, just randomly thinking: maybe there is a better name for the DDBd
class? Name is completely nonobvious, and a quick glance at ddbd.m does not
reveal the purpose of the class. Some commentary on top of the file, and
renaming the class, might be a good thing. This line is hardly helpful to
someone unfamiliar with internals of GWorkspace:

    2013-02-16 22:24:43.051 ddbd[17606] the invocation: <GSFFIInvocation
0x804e9c84 selector: userMetadataForPath: target: DDBd>

I mean, it didn't occur to me at first that DDBd is the name of a class -- it
looked like gibberish :-)

  [1]:
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSConnection_Class/DeprecationAppendix/AppendixADeprecatedAPI.html
--