Re: How to enable themes now days?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: How to enable themes now days?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:25:58 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
On 21. 2. 2013., at 00:32, Luis Garcia Alanis <luis@garcia.tv> wrote:

Nice, but what other values are there? is there one for OS-X (not in window
menu) type of menus?

For menu styles, try these:
NSNextStepInterfaceStyle, NSWindows95InterfaceStyle, NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle.
Correct. Note also that by fiddling with SystemPreferences (you can also enable/disable native window decoration drawing) you are setting those preferences yourself. If you use a theme however, the theme will set these settings for you.

Note that you can also set a theme per-application: If the application uses the standard info-menu, you have a place which indicates the "theme" and if you click on it you can change it and set it for that specific application.

Sadly I must say that while Theming had an initial burst, it got a bit neglected lately. Thus some things that had to be improved weren't and some things that worked don't anymore. Thus, personally; I stopped working on the couple of themes I wanted to produce until I see an improvement there. You can still play with them though, they are in GAP. I was working ona windows classic theme, a "neos" theme with a stronger, modern accent but of NeXT heritage and just a "dark" theme with dark accents, which is the least usable though. Since they are themes without code, you can swap them in or out and dynamically test them on the fly, it is easy.

Riccardo