Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 20:09:59 +0100

On 4 October 2013 19:38, Gabriel <gabriel2404@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a new laptop with a quick processor and a IDE hdd or
> IDE ssd(if it exists!) and 1866MHz 4GB RAM, but I haven't any idea which one
> to choose nor where.
> I'm open to suggestions.

I don't know what kind of suggestions you want, but if you are looking
for experience with FOSS Unix, then _don't_ start with the HURD. It is
not really a viable operating system yet. It is very far short of even
being ready for alpha-test, let alone beta-test. This is a version 0.5
product. When something is getting ready to launch, they tend to call
it version 0.9 and when it's finished it becomes v1.0. This is only
half way to being complete, and as it's taken some 25 years so far, it
probably never will be ready.

If you want an environment to try GNUstep on, I would suggest Debian
Linux or Ubuntu, since there are packages already available. You can't
install Philippe's packages on the HURD - they are Debian packages.

You say that you do not use C so I would not even suggest trying to
build from source. Pick a modern, working, supported Unix and use
that. Not the HURD.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884