Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 22:40:25 +0200

Markus Hitter wrote:
On 2013-10-06 21:29:04 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

Markus Hitter wrote:

[Unity] is the default, so most people use it, including me :)
even if it is the default, I don't like it. Also windows 8 is not the default and I continue not to like it. Just a personal taste

Well said. The taste of everybody else is formed by the rest of the distribution. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of things being "better" or "worse", it's a matter of what people are used to. Not respecting this will annoy people, no matter how good the intentions are. A margin to diverge from this for bringing in improvements exists, but is quite small.
Well, on the other side, I want to offer soemthing alternative to Unity which is complete and has its own interface style

The "hide" makes indeed sens with those icons in the lower left corner.

Ah, competition to what the Ubuntu window manager tries to do already. GNUMail.apps icon shows up in the lower left corner as well as in Unitys launcher bar.

Oops. I didn't mean to restart discussions I well remember from 5, 8, 10 years ago. I shall shut up now until I can provide code. :-)
well, users should still express their ideas, so developers can pick them up and improve them.

The first thing you might want to do is start up SystemPreferences and look for the option to hide mini-windows and see if you feel better. THat way everything needs to be handled by the unity task bar, about as on windows.
It will still leave you a problem with hiding I fear.

Thanks for writing and maintaining this great app!

I did not write it :) That was Ludovic Macotte years ago. German and I tried just to save it from bitrotting, since it is an important app. To each its credit :)

Riccardo