Re: GWorkspace Segfault

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GWorkspace Segfault
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:55:31 +0100

Hi,

On 11/19/13 23:43, Fred Kiefer wrote:
Could you please share the whole stack trace? Maybe I understand the
issue a little bit better then.

 From looking at the code in FSNBrowserCell I can tell that the value of
dtslenght never gets used. Why is it computed at all? And why in the
+initialize method? At that point in time the initialisation of the
backend might not be completed, which could be the reason for the
segmentation fault.

There is similar code in FSNTextCell, which at least treats this value
as a per object one, although it again is never used. I think this is
left over code that should be removed. And the actual shortening code
between these two classes should be reused, maybe moved into gui?
Would it be safer to do such stuff in "init"? It is a static variable, but from what I understand, there should be no problem moving the code to init, right?

Furthermore as you say, the value is not directly used, I will try some cleanup.

Anyway, I use gworkspace with the Cairo, Art and Xlib backend and don't have such problems, thus I wonder why Edwin has!

What GS base/gui/back versions are you using? Latest stable? svn? older? a mix?

Riccardo