Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 14:54:46 -0400

John,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 1:56 PM, John W Kennedy <jwkenne@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2015-04-02 06:03:52 +0000, Gregory Casamento said:
>>
>> Apple is withholding Swift for one reason only and that is because
>> they want to keep it Apple-only so that it makes applications less
>> portable.
>

> I suppose the fact that it isn't entirely stable yet has nothing to do with
> it? (The current Xcode beta includes a Swift-to-Swift translator.)

I'm not sure lack of stability has anything to do with it either.
Swift itself as a language is fairly stable.  The compiler doesn't
crash and it is a very well defined language.

I very much doubt Apple will EVER release Swift as open source.  Not
in a million years.   I hope I'm wrong.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento